Back in July, Christina (my wife of 3 years) wakes me up to ask me if my insurance coverage from my new job had started yet.
"Why...?" I sleepily inquire.
"Because I think I'm pregnant."
My eyes shoot open, I'm fully awake now. "What!?"
"I think I'm pregnant!"
And so it begins.
We were by no means trying to conceive, in fact, quite the opposite. Although we both love kids and very much wanted some, we felt it was too early and we were nowhere near ready to do more than talk about "someday".
I had just started a new job and Christina works right now on a contract basis for the city with no security and (more to the point) no benefits. So although kids are on our radar, it just wasn't something we were fully ready to start actually exploring yet.
"Tough Luck!" says life.
Neither of us have been to the doctor's office in a while, so we need to find a new family doctor. Christina has, in the meantime, taken no less than 4 home pregnancy tests. They all come back positive.
We start to get excited, but also more than a little freaked out. This wasn't part of the plan...well not yet, anyway. We decide to keep it cool until we get confirmation from the doctor. No point letting it get too crazy until we know "for sure".
We manage to actually find new family doctor accepting patients pretty quickly and make an appointment for the soonest time possible, which is about 2 days later. He takes Christina's blood and tells us that until the results come back (in the next few minutes) he's going to ASSUME it's positive since home pregnancy tests are something like 98% accurate. We weren't quite expecting that, we just figured they were a good marker, but you still needed to go to the doctors to "know" whether or not you're actually pregnant...Apparently not.
We manage to actually find new family doctor accepting patients pretty quickly and make an appointment for the soonest time possible, which is about 2 days later. He takes Christina's blood and tells us that until the results come back (in the next few minutes) he's going to ASSUME it's positive since home pregnancy tests are something like 98% accurate. We weren't quite expecting that, we just figured they were a good marker, but you still needed to go to the doctors to "know" whether or not you're actually pregnant...Apparently not.
OK! So, we're pregnant!
Let the journey begin...
No comments:
Post a Comment